Just in time for May First, Mother’s Day, and all those blooming flowers during the month of May—here comes May Day Flowers, a language arts thematic unit that will immerse your children in the history of European May Day celebrations, and the parts of a flower and what each part does.
This is a FREE unit, created as a sample of the kinds of materials I like to make. It’s appropriate for grades 2-5 (there are 2 reading levels included), and will give your kiddos LOTS of opportunities to read and follow directions. Here are some of the items contained in the unit:
• Lesson Plan suggestions
• Student Reader, May Day Celebrations (2 levels—grades 2-3, and 4-5)
• Student Reader Comprehension Game Cards (2 levels—grades 2-3, and 4-5)
• The Maypole of Merry Mount, by Nathaniel Hawthorne, adapted for grades 4-5 read aloud
• Merry Month of May multi-use game board
• Science Research Cards (2 levels—grades 2-3, and 4-5)
• Flower Photo Cards
• Flower Dissection Directions (2 levels—grades 2-3, and 4-5)
• May Flowers and Basket Craft Directions (2 levels—grades 2-3, and 4-5)
• Parts of a Flower Magnetic Board Pieces
• Common Core Alignment
I hope you and your students will find it fun, easy, and educational! Happy May!