Snowball Cookies (my name for them) are generally called “Mexican Wedding Cakes”, or “Sandies.” They are quick, easy, and delicious. They require rolling into balls, so have hand sanitizer available. (If you’re really worried about germs, you can have the students wear gloves.) I got this recipe in my eighth grade cooking class, so thanks to my Home Ec teacher!
1 cup butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons water
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup chopped nuts (your choice: walnuts or pecans are my favorite)
1 cup powdered sugar
1. Soften the butter.
2. Add sugar, water, and vanilla. Mix well.
3. Slowly stir in the flour, mixing well as you go.
4. Stir in nuts.
5. Roll spoonful sized cookies and place on greased cookie sheet. (About 1 inch in diameter.)
6. Bake at 325° for 15-20 minutes. (Check frequently.)
7. Cool for about 15-20 minutes.
8. Roll in powdered sugar.
Makes about 24-30 cookies.